Well, the results are in. The poll from this blog during 2008 generated a gain in digital storytellers from 2007 to 2008. There was a 120% gain in the number of digital storytellers from last year to this year. As well, there was a significant gain in awareness of digital storytelling - more than 200% gain in digital storytelling awareness. Most of the digital story "viewers" expressed interest in creating their own digital stories.
What does all this mean? Certainly, this means that there is an increased following and participation in digital storytelling. It also suggests that it is becoming easier to deal with the technology, so authors can focus on the story itself. It has been interesting to hear from readers of this blog and find out that the audience for digital storytelling is wider than one might think. Here is a list of 10 reasons for creating digital stories synthesized from my blog readers' responses:
(1) family memories
(2) extraordinary events
(3) deep sorrow (e.g., death of a loved one)
(4) deep love (e.g., first kiss)
(5) business improvement (e.g., organizational conference focus)
(6) personal improvement through digital portfolio (e.g., the story of my career)
(7) love of pets
(8) personal expression (e.g., poetry)
(9) professional writing in multi-media for business
(10) news release (e.g., family news and events)
May you all have a wonderful holiday. I wish you a Happy New Year in 2010!
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. - Karen Smith